Costco Cash Back Rewards: What You Need To Know
Let’s examine, compare, and contrast both programs.
Executive Membership Costco Cash Back Rewards
The standard $60 Gold Star membership gets you in the door to shop at Costco but executive members earn 2% cash back, up to $1000, for qualifying Costco, Costco.com and Costco travel purchases. The executive membership costs an extra $60 for a total of $120.
Two months before your membership renewal date, Costco sends out a renewal notification along with a rebate check for the cash back earned the previous year. This rebate check can be used at Costco registers for the purchase of merchandise. It cannot be used for the purchase of alcohol, tobacco, or at their food court.
An interesting fact some people don’t know is while the Costco Executive Membership rebate check can’t be cashed at your bank, it CAN be cashed at the Costco customer service counter.
Costco members who have a earn cash back throughout the year by purchasing goods and services using the card. The breakdown of the cash back rewards cardholders can earn is as follows:can
- 4% cash back on gasoline purchases (for the first $7000 per year, 1% thereafter)
- 3% cash back at eligible restaurant and travel purchases
- 2% cash back on purchases made at Costco, or Costco.com
- 1% cash back on other purchases
The rewards come in the form of a voucher with the February statement. As with the executive membership Costco cash back rewards, you can use the voucher at the register to pay for a purchase or you can exchange it for cash at the customer service desk.
Get The Most Cash Back From Your Costco Membership
- Recoup Your Executive Membership Fee: To recoup the $60 fee to upgrade to the executive membership, you’ll have to spend $3000 annually at Costco. If your rewards check doesn’t exceed $60, you can go to customer service and receive the difference. This makes upgrading to the executive membership a can’t lose proposition.
- Use Your Costco Anywhere You :earn cash back using your Costco Anywhere . Use it for every purchase possible, earn cash back, and pay the bill as soon as you get home.
- Double Up Rewards By Shopping At Costco: Purchase as much of your necessities as possible at Costco using the Costco Anywhere . You’ll earn the 2% Executive Membership rewards AND the 2% cash back from the credit card cash back program. That’s a total of 4% cash back for everyday items you buy anyway!
- Know What Costco Sells: Consider Costco when you’re looking for computers, small appliances, water heaters, indoor and outdoor furniture, mattresses and even carpeting!
- Don’t Forget Costco.com: Costco warehouses are huge, but they don’t contain everything Costco sells. You may be surprised at what else you can find at Costco.com that can help boost your rewards checks.
Last year I earned an Executive Membership rebate of $64, barely exceeding the $60 membership upgrade cost. It’s just too convenient to stop at the much closer Walmart to pick up necessities. I was much more successful with the Costco Anywhere Visa By Citi cash back, earning $364.
These two programs provide an opportunity to earn cash back simply by changing where I buy my day to day necessities. I’m looking forward to earning as much cash back as possible using my Costco membership next year!
Learn more about how you can use your Costco rewards with these additional articles about Costco:
- Save Big At Costco Liquor Stores
- Save Money On Lawn Fertilizer At Costco NOW
- Costco Seafood Roadshow: Great Seafood, Great Value
Here is some of our best stuff from a consumer perspective:
- Review: National Consumer Panel – Pure Awesomeness or Waste of Time?
- Meal Delivery Service: Blue Apron Review
- Which is Cheaper: Keg or Canned Beer?
- Save Money on Water if You have a Pool (Utilities)