Why Doesn’t Costco Do Tire Alignments?
Costco seems to have just about everything a consumer would want. Food, appliances, computers, a pharmacy and even automotive services. Walking past the automotive center on a recent trip to Costco, I heard another customer discussing what kind of tires they should purchase for their vehicle. That customer certainly could buy their tires from Costco, but they couldn’t get a tire alignment to go along with them. For a store that seemingly sells everything, why cant you get a Costco tire alignment?
The machine required to provide the service is very expensive. It would be a significant expense for each Costco to purchase such a machine and could take a long time to recoup it’s cost.
Trained Technician Needed
Each Costco would have to employ people that had the training to operate an alignment machine. This higher salary position would add another operating expense to each Costco that provided alignment service.
Low Demand Service
While a mechanic may recommend an alignment at least every three years, or when you get new tires, many don’t. In 47 years of life, I don’t think I’ve gotten a single wheel alignment. But I’ve purchased tires. Having high priced equipment and trained technicians on staff may simply not be worth it.
An alignment service usually costs between $80 and $200, while a new set of tires can cost $400 or more. For each alignment service done, there is less capacity to service a customer that wants new tires. Alignment services may actually reduce a Costco’s revenue.
Where Can You Get A Tire Alignment?
There are several popular service providers across the nation that do provide alignment services:
- Sears: While they are scaling back as the once retail giant sees a steady decline in sales, Sears automotive centers usually provide alignment service. They also sell tires, providing the convenience of getting your tires and alignment all at the same shop.
- Jiffy Lube: Not all locations provide the service, but if one near you includes it on their menu of options, a customer can get an alignment and an oil change during the same visit.
- Tires Plus: While not all locations provide alignment services, Tires Plus has a reputation for treating their customers well. A customer in need of tires can get new wheels, an alignment along with great service.
While you can get tires at Costco, the answer to why you can’t get a Costco tire alignment is clear. Tire alignment services doesn’t fit with their vision of selling high volume products at great prices. If your vehicle is having troubles with tire alignments, and the cost of repairs is too much, you might want to consider junking your vehicle online. It’s an easy and effective way to get cash for an older car that’s no longer running and you don’t have to shell out cash for something that might pop up again in the future.
How about you, Clever Friends, where do you get your wheels aligned?
Read more great articles from Clever Dude:
- How Much Money do Youtubers Make?
- What You Need to Know About Costco Cash Back Rewards
- Review: National Consumer Panel – Pure Awesomeness or Waste of Time?
- Don’t Use Apleebees Coupons To Save Money, Do These 3 Things Instead