I need advice: Help with finding the right laptop
Hello readers! I need your help. I’m reaching out to my 600+ loyal subscribers, as well as all of you hundreds of new readers who find my site each day for help.
I’m looking for a new laptop. My sister has agreed to purchase my old Sony Vaio for an undisclosed sum (she can’t afford a fancy, new laptop, and my laptop is more than enough for what she needs). Also, I will be reimbursed up to $500 by my employer for a computer purchase, but it has to be a new laptop from a reputable dealer (i.e. I can’t just get one off eBay or Craigslist).
I can access Employee Purchase Programs for IBM/Lenovo, Dell and even Apple, but for my line of work, I think I need to stick to a PC, not a Mac. I am also a Sam’s Club member, in case you know of a deal they’re offering that I can’t pass up.
I have certain requirements for this laptop, so I appreciate getting advice on what is available AND reliable within these specifications:
- Must be under $1000 (or barely over it)
- Monitor must be 14.1″ or smaller. It can be a widescreen 14.1″, but I don’t want anything larger (ie no 15″+ laptops)
- Must have 2Gb of RAM (or more, but I doubt any more would fit in my budget)
- Must have a decent battery (6 cell or higher)
- Must have 60 Gb or more hard drive space
- Must have S-video output
- Must have a built-in wireless card
- Must have a CDRW/DVDRW. I’d also like if it was a Dual Layer DVD burner
I have a Circuit City, Best Buy and Radio Shack in walking distance, as well as a number of other stores, so you if you mention a model that may be available at those stores, please mention the store. I would really like to go SEE the laptop to test out its rigidity, durability and usability before buying it.
I really appreciate the help! Thanks!