Ok, we didn’t go into Manhattan (the Tri-borough bridge was jammed), so our weekend trip to NY wasn’t too hard on the wallet. Here’s a rundown of our expenditures (rounded off):
- Hotel Room: $110. We got 1 night at the Hilton Garden Inn about 3 miles from the lake (where the wedding was). The wedding couple reserved a block of rooms from the nearby Marriott for $130 (plus tax), but my friend Shawn found a deal at the Hilton that ended up saving us about $30-40 for that one night. That one night’s savings was spent on…
- Tolls: $40. Normally we try to avoid toll roads, but in the interest of time, we took I-95, the NJ Turnpike, Goethals Bridge and the Verrazzano Bridge. Luckily I got a chunk of cash at the ATM before the trip. The biggest chunk was going home across the Verrazzano and paying a $9 toll. Ugh!
- Car Rental: $75. We got a VW Jetta (I didn’t know Enterprise rents European cars), which returned decent gas mileage and proved for a much better drive than in our Malibu. Plus, we’re saving mileage on the Malibu since we’re selling it.
- Dining: $30. We packed our lunch for the drive up Saturday and ate in the car. Dinner was at the wedding. We ate breakfast the next day at a diner on Long Island with friends, and then stopped in New Jersey for lunch with some other friends.
- Gas: $42. I got gas just before the Jersey Turnpike for $2.61 per gallon. And then on the way home, I found another place for $2.55 per gallon. How can Jersey stations charge so little and still have full service?
Total Cost: About $300. That was pretty much 8am Saturday till 5pm Sunday (when we got home).