What if you could have not only the first production version of a certain car ever made, but also the first ever sold? What if that car was a Ford Mustang…Convertible? Well, now you can.
I found this story at World Car Fans that details the history of this car that is now on the market for a cool $5,500,000, or a simple payment of $42,064.26 per month with $1,000,000 down payment (is that a joke?).
This 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang even comes with original registration plates, ownership history and a letter from William Clay Ford (grandson of Henry Ford and Detroit Lions owner) after he borrowed it for his granddaughter’s wedding last year.
For comparison’s sake, let’s see how many of various 2008 model year Ford vehicles (cars-only) you could get for $5.5 million:
- 390 base model 2008 Ford Focuses (or is that Foci?)
- 309 base model 2008 Ford Fusions
- 285 base model 2008 Ford Mustangs
- 236 base model 2008 Ford Tauruses (or Tauri? It’s the old Ford Five Hundred)
- 203 of the 2008 Ford Mustang GT Premium
- 172 of the 2008 Ford Mustang GT Convertible Premium
- 131 of the 2008 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
- 117 of the 2008 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Convertible
- 73 of the 2008 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Convertible with Super Snake Package (Total output for this package is estimated to be between 600 – 725 hp and costs about $28,000 ON TOP of the Shelby GT500 price)
- 59 base model 2008 Jaguar XKR Convertibles (yes, they’re still Fords for now)
- 50 of the 2008 Jaguar XKR Convertibles with every option I could choose
- 21 of the 2006 Aston Martin V12 Vanquish Coupes – It’s no longer a Ford, but this model year was and that’s a friggin beast of a car, for $260,000!
But I guess some people can’t argue with a classic and its piece in history. If I had $5.5 million, I think I would spend it elsewhere, like maybe leasing a Bugatti Veyron, until I die in a fiery wreck at 250mph!
Feeling Clever? Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get the latest from "Clever Dude."