Over the last ten years, certain traditions have been created in our neighborhood.Â Our house is where we get together for football games, another neighbor hosts dinner before the kids go Trick-Or-Treating on Halloween, someone else has a pool party every August, and another couple always hosts the neighborhood Christmas party.Â Nobody has ever said any of these traditions out loud, it’s just how it’s done.Â In past years, there have commonly been gifts given to all the neighborhood kids.Â As our circle of friends has grown, so did each child’s present haul.Â Quite frankly it’s become ridiculously expensive with each kid leaving the neighborhood Christmas party with more presents than they can carry.Â I’d imagine it’s also become a little embarrassing for new comers who show up and didn’t know that gifts were commonly given.Â So this year we took a stand.
We’re not bringing gifts.
One of the other neighbors asked whatÂ we were giving out this year, and we said, “Nothing.”Â I would bet that as word spreads, it will be a relief to all.Â It usually just takes one person to say something to topple something that everyone knows should be stopped.Â I hope we have fulfilled that role.
On the other hand, I’m not above giving you, my readers, gifts.Â This week you get five!Â Check out my gifts , er I mean my five favorite posts of the week.
- High Deductible Car Insurance and Emergency Funds from Money Ahoy
- Personal Finance: Are you living below your means? from Dojo Blog
- Are You Richer Than You Thought or Poorer Than You Feared? from Money Rebound
- Top Personal Finance Apps from Free Money Minute
- Are you being bullied over money? from DINKS Finance
Bonus gift!Â I guest posted over at Money Bulldog this week with a post titled Your Emergency Fund Strategy Could be a Waste of Money.
CleverDude was included in the following carnivals this week:
- Carnival of Financial Camaraderie at Micro Missions
- Carnival of Financial Independence at Budget And the Beach
- Aspiring Blogger â€“ Personal Finance Carnival at Aspiring Blogger
Brought to you courtesy of Brock
Feeling Clever? Join our newsletter!
Subscribe to get the latest from "Clever Dude."