Another expensive month for electricity
Just last month, I told you we were hit with an almost $400 electric bill. We had some major discrepancies in how they were calculating our estimated vs actual bill, but it all worked out since we hadn’t had to pay any bills for 4 months prior.
This month, we got a bill for about $435, for only one month of electricity! It was my fault that I didn’t unlock the gate on the day of the reading, but c’mon, $435? Here’s what I think happened: They saw that last month’s bill was an ACTUAL reading for $400, but their computer didn’t recognize the preceding pattern of a credit each month for 4 months. It only cared about last month’s bill. And since August is warmer than July, it figured we would use more electricity.
So what did I do? Obviously I don’t want to hand Pepco more money than I truly owe them, so the next day I got a manual reading and called it in. We have a “time-metered” digital meter, which means we have 3 time periods, and each period costs us differently. There’s Peak, Off-Peak and Intermediate. I had to grab the 3 numbers, plus a 4th “check sum” reading.
Unfortunately, the last time I tried to circumvent a bill, they didn’t apply my reading and re-bill me. This time, I asked the operator if she could ensure that I got a new bill, and she responded that she would put a hold on the account. I hope she didn’t mean that she would shut off my electricity until I pay the amount! I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt since it’s been a few days and the TV still works.
I did some calculations using my actual readings compared with the actuals from last month, and determined our bill should have been about $230. Let’s see how close I was when I get the new bill. By the way, we’ve been using the A/C more this past month, plus we have a pool with a pump that runs 13 hours per day.