A lot of people think that in order to get healthy and fit, you have to spend a lot. Going to the gym and eating whole, healthy food can seem quite expensive but do you know that being obese and overweight can also cost you money?
If you feel that getting fit is a luxury and itâ€™s something that you canâ€™t afford, be aware that staying out of shape also costs you more. How is this possible? Just think of all the doctorâ€™s appointments, hospital bills, medicines and other maintenance drugs you will need to spend on when you get sick because of an unhealthy lifestyle.
Getting fit should be fun and not be a cause for additional financial stress. Here are several ways you can get fit and save money at the same time:
- Get off the couch and start walking. As with any other feat, itâ€™s best to start small. You canâ€™t expect to go run a 5K marathon when youâ€™re not used to exercising yet. It can be as simple as walking down the block and then gradually increase as you gain more endurance. Challenge yourself by taking the stairs. Download apps or watch online videos to encourage you to take that first step towards becoming fit. The best part? All of these is absolutely free.
- Choose a simple workout routine. There are a lot of resources available on the internet where you can choose and target a specific type of workout for your body type or what you want to achieve. Whether it be to lose weight, tone or gain muscles, you just have to pick out the program you want and some even offer free downloads, videos or infographics.
- Do your research and choose a gym membership that will suit your budget. Gyms can be very expensive if youâ€™re not careful. If you feel that you can only be motivated by pushing yourself to go to the gym, be sure to check out the local gyms in your area to see how much you will need to pay to take advantage of the amenities they offer.
- Bicycle to work. When the weather or the season permits, cycling to work can definitely save you money on gas and other car expenses and at the same time makes you get fit. This is another way to incorporate exercise into your daily routine so that you wonâ€™t feel bored just doing exercises.
- Encourage yourself. Find out what motivates you so that you can push your limits. If you prefer going in groups, invite your family or friends to join you. Itâ€™s more fun than doing it solo and you can have each other as a support system should any of you feel like giving up – it does happen on a fitness journey.
Itâ€™s important to get started now – whether at the beginning or if itâ€™s the middle of the year. Becoming fit should be a part of your life goals aside from purchasing that home or car youâ€™ve always dreamed of. It does have the same value, especially when you invest in yourself. Make sure to check with your doctor first before you start any exercise program to ensure that you can take it.
Do you have any other ways youâ€™d like to share to get fit and save money at the same time?
Save More Money in 2018
Subscribe and join the worldwide 52-week money challenge! Get the tools you need right to your inbox.